Neoprene gloves are among the most popular rubber waterproof gloves in the market today. They are popular because they are resistant to a wide variety of acids, oils, solvents and caustic agents. It is however important to note that they are less resistant to punctures, snags, cuts and abrasions compared to natural rubber or nitrile gloves.
Neoprene which is a trademarked name for polychloroprene is registered by DuPont. Neoprene or polychloroprene was developed initially by chemists in 1930. They were inspired to develop Neoprene after attending a lecture by Julius Nieuwland at Notre Dame University. Julius Nieuwland had previously developed a jelly like substance which portrayed properties similar to those portrayed by rubber in the presence of sulphur dichloride. DuPont bought the rights to Julius Nieuwland’s invention and later worked together with Julius to come up with present day Neoprene.
Neoprene gloves belong to a family of synthetic rubber gloves widely used in numerous industrial and consumer applications. Examples of applications include making; wet suits, scuba diving gloves e.t.c.
Neoprene glove benefits
1. Snug fit: Neoprene’s chemical properties enable neoprene gloves to have their characteristic snug fit. Most people buy neoprene gloves because they are among the best fitting gloves in the market. This property makes them suitable for applications such as scuba diving.
2. They are multipurpose: Another benefit of neoprene gloves is that they can be used in a variety of situations/applications i.e. for fire prevention, combat, fishing, scuba diving, lab work e.t.c. Neoprene gloves are popular in chemical processing plants and labs because of their protective properties.
3. They are cheap: Unlike many other gloves out there in the market, Neoprene gloves are cheap and don’t compromise quality. They are cheap yet they offer the same benefits and functionality offered by expensive gloves.
4. They offer excellent flexibility: Neoprene gloves are the best for activities that require extreme flexibility i.e. finger dexterity while offering maximum hand protection from cold water in the case of scuba diving application.
5. Variety: Another benefit of Neoprene gloves is variety. The gloves are available in numerous varieties because they are used for many applications. You can get Neoprene gloves ideal for numerous applications. The gloves are also available in a variety of colours, sizes and textures.
6. Readily available: Neoprene gloves are also readily available. You can find all kinds of neoprene gloves in safety supply stores, lab equipment supply stores and hardware stores. You can also buy neoprene gloves online.
Buying neoprene gloves: Some important factors to consider
1. Reputable manufacturer: The first thing you should consider when buying neoprene gloves is the manufacturer. You should buy neoprene gloves from reputable manufacturers only to get the best quality.
2. Fitting gloves: You should also make sure that you buy neoprene gloves that fit. Neoprene gloves come in a variety of sizes. If you want them to give you a snug fit, you must find a suitable neoprene glove size. Finding a fitting glove is easy. You can measure your hand or fit suitable glove sizes.